I just got back from running 5 1/2 miles. This is what I have "worked up to" in the last several months. Not a comforting thought considering where I was at last June. I chose the same Ragnar leg for 2011 with the intention of beating last years times.???? I haven't fully taken advantage of the months between last July and now to better prepare myself for the Big Race. And I know 'sort of' doesn't cut it. When I'm out there running by myself the race will really only be between me and, well, me. And I am going to need to be able to tell myself that I can do this when there is no else there. You have to dig deep enough and have something to bring to the surface when you need it. That is what I found so life-alteringly wonderful about that first time. I've been digging pretty deep in some other areas in my life though. And I think that counts. A lot. I'll let you insert your own creative analogy between running and life and how similar they are.
Scott recently read the book Born To Run. In it they did a study of great runners. And you know what they found? Those who encourage others, cheer other runners, and go back for injured opponents are the best runners. They are "others" centered when they run and they are World Class. Now you know why I think we can do this thing called the Ragnar and this other thing called life.
Do me a favor; in the comments section tell me about your reservoir and how you are going to keep filling it up. No matter what "race" you are currently signed up for.
Those of you who read my blog are on my team. Or I don't think you would be here- checking in on my life. Not just my Ragnar Team, but also my life team. And I just wanted you to know that I think each of you has a great reservoir to pull from already. I hope you will fill it up even more in the next 4 months. And to those of you who are on my RAGNAR team, yeah, that is how much time we have. Almost exactly.

2 comments:
I'm shakin' in my running shoes. Thanks for the reminder. I hope my reservoir is as deep as yours.
I too think a lot about running and life. I don't know that I love running, but I love the way I think when I run.
My reservoir is filled as I run uphill and it's hard to breath and my muscles burn and my mind always goes to my husband. His life is hard. It takes a lot of effort to get his body to do simple tasks, but he doesn't quit. So I don't quit. We are not quitters and we can do hard things.
Post a Comment