Thursday, March 31, 2011

Surprise!!

Isaac's mission president and his wife work at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple on Wednesday nights. 
They therefore decided to reserve a session as a mission reunion. Isaac decided several weeks ago he was going. 8 hours in a car for a temple session. I was a little surprised he was going to make the trek. They weren't serving a buffet afterwards, there would be little time for socializing. The temple session was it. He still had school and work the next day. Scott reminded me that he is at that resilient age of driving all night and then being able to get up for work and class (at 4 a.m.) That's my boy! He was driving down with two other missionaries from his mission including his trainer- Elder Hall. I told him I wished I could be there to see him. 
It's been 3 months since I have. 
I had secret plans. 
I packed enough food for three hungry young men and set out. Scott had an assignment he had agreed to fulfill and was unable to join me. I walked into the special  chapel session just as they were starting the opening Hymn. I squeezed him on the shoulder "Hi son." Delight. Surprise. It was a beautiful session. We had a cherished visit in the temple. 
Shared some of our thoughts and struggles and hopes. We hugged.
I surprised those three with their dinner, 
jumped in my car, and headed home.

                                                    Good Surprise.

8 comments:

Ike said...

The highlight of the week :)

Amy said...

Good surprise.
Amazing Mom!

Jen said...

AWWWW! THat was wonderful!

Anonymous said...

and THEN she suddenly made a surprise appearance in my class in Mexico! (hint hint)

Bonnie Anderson said...

how great to feel your heart laugh.

Unknown said...

Good gifts all around.

JP Anderson said...

Great son raised by a great mother.

Terri said...

What a wonderful idea for the both of you. It must have been really delightful and the free home made food was for sure appreciated. Wish you could go see Kenz class.