I recently wrote a program for the Relief Society Birthday celebration in our ward. Four of the sisters in my ward kindly agreed to share their own personal stories of struggle and triumph, but in the form of a dramatic presentation. Four sisters from the past spoke to them about their own similar experiences. It was all intended to draw attention to the great resource and strength sisters from the history of the church can be. It was a sweet experience. Sariah, Lehi's wife was there. So was Rachel Grant, the mother of Heber J Grant. We were also 'visited' by Aurelia Rogers the founder of primary and lastly Emma Smith. You may have heard of Emma. While I was writing her part I was very moved. Her life, as many of you are aware was replete with hardship and loss. She gave her all and her everything to the Lord's work as she saw it. But that wasn't what really caught my attention. Emma Smith died over 130 years ago and yet there still seems to be a debate as to whether she really was an elect lady. And that debate is had among members of the church today. Not cool. She gave and gave up much more than most of us will be called to do in a lifetime. Perhaps the scripture in D& C 25:3 is more for our benefit than it was for hers.
Sheri Dew said,
"Why can't we resist the urge to second-guess and evaluate each other?...Sometimes I wonder if the final judgment will be a breeze compared with what we've put each other through here on earth."
I know I am going to die imperfect. I am going to keep stumbling along, making mistakes and getting back up again. I will do my best, but I will not be perfect. There are days, many of them, when I feel like I can't measure up. I feel overwhelmed and inadequate too often. But then I am reminded whose yoke is easy and whose burden is light. And I keep my eye on that light. The source of hope and humility is our Savior. The source of doubt and shame, the adversary. I can do more to be more and along the way lift others who are carrying their own crosses. I think we each can. And I believe when we do our own burdens become much easier to bear. I just wanted you to know that I will happily carry yours for awhile if you need me to. I know many of you have carried mine.

9 comments:
Thank you - I needed to hear this and I love you!!
Oh, good thoughts! I especially love the quote from Sheri Dew.
I so wish I had been able to make it to that Relief Society program. You have definitely carried me through some difficult things.
You have such a beautiful spirit, Ginger. I loved this post. Thank you!
Hi. I deleted my old blog and started a new one. I'd like to add you to my list of readers, if you're interested. Send me a message at kjaehill at gmail dot com and I'll add you. Thanks! Kelly
simple and true but hard to do. Your gracious about this and by the wway where is my script Ive got my compassionate service committee pretty excited.
Dear Miss Ginger - I'd propose simply giving it away to whomever it might bless - without restriction. The gift will find its way back to you, as always.
You've been made stronger from the extra weight you've been blessed to carry...
Thank you for posting. I really took some inspirational thoughts and have even shared them with others from this. Love to you!
Post a Comment