Monday, October 26, 2009

Wolves Sprite & Endless Worry

Three weeks ago we watched the Disney DVD "Earth". For the most part it was enjoyed by all. However. This is an animal movie. And, as I may have mentioned several dozen times during the movie to my concerned children, "Animals eat animals". Of course Caleb reminded me of cows and other such herbivores. Of course he did. He and Ellie had similar reactions to scenes in which animals were in peril, which were thus. Ellie would make a little squeaking sound and move to the corner furthest from the t.v.. Caleb would analyze, debate and finish each sentence with the following question. "Do____ eat people?"
I try not to lie to my children. But, since Caleb came to earth with the "worry gene" (see, he is mine) I try to soften things up with a sort of non-answer to the affect, "____do not choose to eat people. It is true that sometimes___ have bit a person to defend their young, their home or because they mistake them for their real food source."
I tried. Heaven knows I tried. For some reason the cheetahs & the lions didn't make the biggest impression
Caleb has been fixated on the topic of wolves ever since. When Caleb gets focused it is near impossible to pry his little mind off of a topic.
Every day since then Scott and I have entertained not a few conversations on the subject.
Here are a few of my favorites to date.
Upon hitting his head on a bench at school last week he declared to his father. "The back of my head feels funny. Like a wolf bite."
And yet another....
"Mom, what if wolves came into our house?" To which I replied,"Cal there are no wolves in this area."
"They live in Utah mom!"
"They live further north of here."
"But what if they did?"
"The only reason a wolf would get all the way down to our neighborhood would be if he was hungry and couldn't find any food between here and were he lives hundreds of miles away."(Shawn, please do not tell my son that you saw a wolf up a nearby canyon)
"What if he was hungry?"
Me(getting a little exasperated) "Cal the only way a wolf could come in our door is if we let him in. If I can manage to keep our dog out of the house I think I can keep a wolf out."
"But wolves are stronger than our dog."
Sigh. "Honey, that is just so unlikely. I am 42 years old and I have never known anyone who had a wolf come into their house."
"I bet grandpa knows someone who did."

And tonight's was a highlight as well. Caleb had a soda he had picked up at the school carnival on Friday which he was saving. After opening it up and taking a sip he exclaimed, "This Sprite is very spritey! I don't like it!" I replied, "Yeah, soda has carbonation in it and that's what makes it so fizzy. I don't like it much either."
"Mom, what if you poured Sprite down a wolves' mouth?"
"I don't know Cal what if?" (Scott has started laughing. I am not laughing. I have had perhaps 50 versions of this conversation and the humor is lost on me)
To which Caleb replied, "If you made a wolf drink Sprite would it kill him? You know the carbonation?"
"I don't know son. I don't think anyone has tried to give a wolf Sprite."

8 comments:

Jen said...

OH My Lanta -as your beloved Kenz would say! I think I just laughed a good 20 pounds off! That boy is super duper funny!

FatherOfFour said...

Well Carol's whole family may be going to the Great Wolf Lodge (in Olympia) for a couple of days during the Holidays. I guess we can count Caleb out.

Anonymous said...

I belong to THE funniest family in the world. That includes extended members, but seriously, THE funniest! I can't stop laughing at all of your posts!

shawn rowley said...

i have seen wolves in idaho the nearest was east and north of idaho falls. i had a cousin who lived just a few miles from you that had a canadian timber wolf as a pet. we worked on my cousins
house, to finish part of the basement for my aunt to live in. and bill lisi refused to go back after the second day because the wolf followed him every where and just watched him intensely so bill took the restof the week off. by the end of the week me and the wolf,(who's name was cami) got to be freinds. but i wouldn'thave trusted her with my kids alone although kate, becca and cami played together in the house. there is no evidence of wolves in utah, south of bear lake, and they go to extreams to avoid humans...even little humans. i am far more scared of cougars than wolves even when both are plentifull. unforunatly.......

JP Anderson said...

Well don't tell Caleb about the time when a wolf came into our little apartment, ate my favorite book, then drank my sprite sitting on the counter. IN UTAH!

gabby said...

Time for wolf flooding. Might I suggest The true story of the 3 litte pigs as told by the wolf. Little Red Riding Hood: A Newfangled Prairie Tale, and Lon Po Po. Then have pigs in a blanket for dinner. Finish the night by taking turns doing your best howling at the moon.
love your therapeutic provider Terri

Debbie said...

Great stories!!

Em said...

I suppose I shouldn't recommend this best illustrated book then?

http://www.amazon.com/Wolves-Walls-Times-Illustrated-Awards/dp/038097827X