There have been some recent posts from family members about grief and loss and loosing. Heavy stuff. But very good. I am not afraid to cry. I am open with my emotions. Like my mother, I wear my heart on my sleeve. It gets banged-up sometimes and then I feel like putting it away in my secret hiding place. Scott always reminds me to leave it out. I am a velveteen rabbit and I become more real with the wear that comes with being loved, in all of it's forms
My sister Terri inherited quite a bit of Grandma LeMond's hand-stitched linens. When she got married she started to use them and someone questioned this decision. Wouldn't it be better to keep them in a drawer and save them? Her reply was to the affect "These things were meant to be used, not saved. I want to make use of them and that will make them more meaningful." I agree with her, but like so many of us I fear the loss, or the "ruining" of things. I am this way, with non-things like people and dogs. My dog is old. He pretty much lives in the garage. He often leaves a mess on the garage floor. He gets up slowly and can't hear very well which makes parking the car difficult and sometimes entertaining. He has been at the pound at least twice and I have been to court because of him once. He eats bees. His one trick is a combination of all of the tricks we've attempted to teach him. It looks like someone hit him with a tranquilizer dart. He sits, lays down and rolls over in one fluid motion.He has logged an impressive list of chewed-up items in his life, including my prom dress a hunting vest Scott inherited from his grandfather and my left hand.. Sometimes he is difficult to love. But I scratch him behind the ears everyday, especially lately, and I stop breathing when I can't tell if he is.
People get old and fragile- but definitely not in that order. Grandma McClellan (my last grandparent on any side) is dying from internal bleeding. This started while we were in Oregon.
Scott gave her a blessing which was sweet and comforting.
Suddenly I am the one that is fragile.
This has happened in many forms lately. In reflecting on the curve balls that have been thrown my way in a few months worth of "ball games" I was wondering. Did I strike out? Hit a few fouls? Maybe even get hit by the ball? Like the grief of loosing, whether it be a person or just a part of them, continuing to Really live takes great courage. As that recently made famous song says "It's the climb." Maybe, no probably, I hit some fouls, struck out and got hit by the ball when I didn't pay attention. But, guess what? I was at the plate and I was swinging. Isn't that what it is really all about. Doing your best, even when your best means your team still won't win. Because it Really Is about how you played the game.
I honestly like movies that have a sad ending, but I definitely don't want to watch one every night. One of my favorites, Shadowlands, is based on a book that is based on a stage play about the real-life romance and tragedy of C.S. Lewis and Joy Gresham. Last year at this time I was reading that book and going through a few big changes.
The author places Lewis at his desk at the close of the book, reflecting, perhaps writing his journal which would become, "A Grief Observed." Here is what he wrote:
"Why love if losing hurts so much? I have no answers anymore, only the life I've lived. Twice in that life, I've been given a choice, as a boy and as a man. The boy chose safety. The man chooses suffering. The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal."
It is not pleasant to consider choosing suffering, but safety is no option at the cost of love.
A version of the following quote is on a plaque in my home. It is attributed to Mother Teresa
People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.
Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.
I will keep swinging at those curve balls.
7 comments:
So true, so fine, so glad you're mine...as I read and pondered your thoughts it occurred to me that another title of your blog could be "life is wonderful and eternal life is wonderful forever." We have so many blessings to count, don't we? So glad you are always #1 on a very long list.
do you know you aren't perfect, but have done so well in the sight of all who matter.
when i met you what i remember most is that you were the only one of those close to terri, that though, that she should marry me.
i remember you as my advocate to the andersons.
do you know that each time i see you again i know you have used your tallents and efforts and the atonement to become a better person than when last we met.
all though your burdens are heavy you will become equal to them.
to me, you are my sister.
i will never say anything to you that isn't true, i am unafriad to look you in the eye and tell you that as your brother,...
I am proud of you.
This inadaquite and incompleat praise is long over due.
s.
And that's how you spell L-O-V-E.
Let me just say I love this blogging business. We Andersons do get together quite often, and I always look forward to seeing everyone. However, there are so many of us that often I find myself chasing kids, getting food, and having pretty shallow conversations. I guess I let the chaos get in my way of having meaningful conversations. THIS is why I love blogs. We can share our deep thoughts, concerns, worries, inadequacies, triumphs, funny stories, ramblings and then everyone else can take a minute devoted to reading your words, and hopefully (see Scott L.'s blog) make a personal comment. I loved reading Ginger's thoughts on change and living life. You are a strong woman Ging and you put your best foot forward when you're swinging that bat! I loved reading Shawn's comments as much as I loved Ginger's blog. See, can you picture those two on the couch at Grandma and Grandpa's with Ging sharing these feelings and Shawn replying the way he did? Something about the written word opens us up and makes us feel safe enough to share with those we love. I love it. I love you both. Amen. Enough from me already.
Ya know I thought alot about this as I looked at Brit descending that escelator and hugging us all. When she said I have cried for 2 days I hurt for her. The exquisite pain of love and sacrifice. You are a gem at loving and caring about others. I treasure your thoughtful cards and heartfelt messages. Do it anywaY.
Everyone has touched on the most touching parts of your post. But I want you to know I am head-nodding at everything. The experiences of happiness & the grief that counters, are pretty intense. Its hard not to premeditate the pain that inevitably waits such happy moments. Its hard to see those you love grow old or ill. Its like having an organ start to fail inside of you, like, part of your heart I suppose. So cliche, but too true. I still get heart ache thinking of the passing of pets of past. Do good anyway, and all that jazz.
Yes, you struck out and hit foul balls. But, you also hit home runs and are winning the game.
Anytime someone bears their challenges and adversity with grace and includes God in their lives they are winning the game. I am glad we are on the same team.
I want to thank you for your effort to come to the airport. I know it wasn't easy but it meant a lot to me that you wanted to be there so bad. I am glad you made it on time.
Post a Comment