Wednesday, August 19, 2009

ONE YEAR WISER

A year ago right now I was sitting in an empty room sobbing my eyes out. The Gatorade bottle in the windowsill and that bird seed all over the floor were suddenly sweet reminders. I was suffering a pain that only a mother really knows, but I knew it would ebb,... and flow. The truth is it has gotten easier and easier. Naturally there are days when I find it a little harder to have him gone. Perhaps because I can hear from him weekly. Or maybe it's because he is in the Lord's hands. But more than anything else I know the reason I feel so content and it is quite simply because he is. He loves missionary work. And what mother wouldn't be happy to have her 20 year-old serving the Lord? Today he sent me a letter for my birthday. Without question it contained the best gift he has ever given me. This is the excerpt: "If there is any gift I could give you, it is that your son KNOWS this is the true church and he has been raised the right way...and that he will never forget it!"

It has been a great year. The next one promises to be at least as wonder-filled. Happy One-Year anniversary son.

Check His blog for some fun photos....

7 comments:

shawn rowley said...

he will be home soon ging, soon enough.

A THORN AMONG ROSES said...

What a compliment for a deserving mother! There is no greater accomplishment than to save a soul... even if it is your own son. Knowing he is well on his way to being a force for good is a comfort and blessing. We are proud of him and thankful to you for helping him become the young man we are all proud of.

Jen said...

That was a beautiful letter! What a great guy he is! It will be fun to see him , it feels like time is just flying by!

Terri said...

Oh I love it love it. The picture was so telling. It cannot be a year already that went by so fast for me. Thanks for reminding me to appreciate the ipod on my kitchen table and the socks under it. What a wonderful birthday gift

KimnSam said...

What a great post! I love the cute picture too... goo to hear for a mom of future missionaries! What a great kid.

Debbie said...

I love that Ginger! How wonderful to hear that as a mom!

Me and More said...

I love that picture. He is so handsome and happy. How wonderful to be the mother of a missionary whom you have taught so well. The other picture can goooooooooo!