Monday, October 18, 2010

One Week at Random

It's Monday again. How did that happen? I am at the same time amazed at how quickly a week can pass and just how much can be crammed into those seven days.
We spent several days enjoying the changing of the seasons in Midway and Park City. (Gratified sigh of joy here) That post is forth-coming- so no spoilers here.
I canned tomatoes,tomatillo-chipotle salsa and packaged more dried dill than I can eat in a life-time. I also gathered and washed the 200 potatoes from the garden- whew!
McKenzie and I spent 2 hours in a question and answer session with Elder Bednar. My favorite quote from the day "It is more important to not shrink than to survive" Which was Elder Bednar quoting Elder Maxwell.(Of Course). Twice before I've enjoyed a question and answer session with an apostle. Twice! Elder Haight when I was a youth (He knew our Bishop), and Elder Scott when I taught seminary in Eugene. I have added another amazing experience. He chewed gum, introduced himself as "Dave" and was as personable as your next-door neighbor. Which makes perfect sense because I am sure he has neighbors.
I finally put out Halloween. Ellie was satisfied. She has been proclaiming that "Everyone has Halloween decorations out, 'cept for us!" That is not entirely true. It looks nice and I am ahead of last year when I mercifully pulled them out 2 days before Halloween. Don't judge me.
I read another 150 pages in "Wild Swans". This book is a must-read for anyone who wants to understand China better. I have good reason to, so I am in it for the long-haul. All 503 pages. Every time I put it down I stumble around for about an hour in a state of awe mixed with sorrow and gratitude.
Speaking of gratitude. We enjoyed watching miner after miner come up from the bowels of the earth. I know how far away from my house you have to run to get to 1/2 mile. It overwhelms me to think of it. We also enjoyed watching the latest Alice in Wonderland. It was well-done, but I think my own re-occurring dreams of falling through the earth are going to pick up really soon.
Caleb spent no less than 6 hours on the computer writing his scarey story for the A.F. arts council scarey story contest. When he is committed, he amazes me.
I did a photo-shoot for a newly published authors book signing. Check here if you want the book. The photos are hers to do with as she chooses so none posted . Oh, did I mention that I officially launched Ginger Snaps ? Well, I did for what it's worth. Trying to raise money for my Mexican-bound daughter. Not too many bites for the fund-raiser, but I promise not to lick my wounds until they fester. Does anyone have a band-aid?
I made my new favorite bread twice this week for a total of 8 loaves. It is really good and doesn't have any perishable ingredients for those of you who want food storage ideas. I am posting the recipe on my family food blog here. Found out there is an Anderson's Appetite food blog too. We have competition!
Survived a tough week in primary. Really one of the tougher. But I came back smiling this week and all was well in Zion.
Spent one hour quizzing Ellie on Chinese animals this morning. She is getting it. Tomorrow I think we will work on English.
Organized my food storage and cleaned out my closet. Truthfully I am still cleaning out my closet. Those who have been invited to the "cave of wonders" understand. I have a very substantial pile of nice looking "cast-offs" Trying to simplify.
Heart is full, drawn out in prayer for loved ones right now. Tears and thoughts and some more tears.
There is more- so much more, but this was meant to be a taste, not a buffet and so I will close with the last bit of randomness. I cleaned my computer keys this morning. My computer is a Mac so this process caused all kinds of nifty things to happen to my computer until I switched over to word. I saved the resulting document and I am going to read it over in-case there is a message from the cosmos in there. I hope it doesn't say anything about drying some more dill...... :-)
P.S. The mailman just brought me Spring 2011 Preview of the Eddie Bauer Catalog. What?

6 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! You've gotten a lot done. I've been wanting to call and see how that trip away was. Sounds like it was refreshing as it should be.

Anonymous said...

Ahh wish I could've been in Midway. It surely was a good weekend with the family, though. And Elder Bednar of course!

word verification: ackstish?

JP Anderson said...

Geesh! I sometimes think I'm pretty busy. Well this puts that myth to bed. I'm starting to get anxious sitting here now. Glad you've had yet another awesome week. Can't wait for photos by Ginger Snaps. (we signed up for those to you who haven't yet)

Terri said...

What an amazing week. You keep your feet moving, your chin up and all without shrinking during primary delights. good job.

Molly Thorne said...

I wish I could get big projects done but normally I have to think quick and simple or it doesn't get done due to the 2 chubby babies at this house. My list is so long, want to come over I'll even let you play with the babies while I do the list?

Britney said...

I just today saw your comment on one of my old blog posts about spices...we should go spice shopping one day -- one day maybe when we're not all so busy :) Maybe I could just come visit some Sunday, that would be happy too.