A "Happy Thursday" gift
Round, Lively,
Needing training in all areas
But love.
Instinctive runner and escape artist
Gave me a scar when just a puppy
Chewed your way through adolescence
Had the most lovely wavy fur- especially in snow.
Often confused for a bear- which always made you a great conversation piece
Survived life on a busy street, two trips to the pound, one rottweiler attack and getting your
head stuck in- between house and fence
Met the kids at school unannounced- "How did you find them so far from home?"
Exasperated me the most- I ate your fur, went to court (with the chain-gang) to bail you out. You ate my prom dress and my favorite blazer which are only two of hundreds of gnarled items you produced, jumped the fence when my back was turned, left a trail in the grass and fur in the garage and were impossible to walk with a neck injury. So I had to stop.You sneezed when I got mad at you and tipped your food dish over when you were mad at me. And you grew old while I had to watch. The worst of it for sure.
Did not like to be in water or a car and always needed motion sickness pills for dogs.
Moved 6 times, including a stay at both grandparents.
Exasperated me the most- I ate your fur, went to court (with the chain-gang) to bail you out. You ate my prom dress and my favorite blazer which are only two of hundreds of gnarled items you produced, jumped the fence when my back was turned, left a trail in the grass and fur in the garage and were impossible to walk with a neck injury. So I had to stop.You sneezed when I got mad at you and tipped your food dish over when you were mad at me. And you grew old while I had to watch. The worst of it for sure.
Did not like to be in water or a car and always needed motion sickness pills for dogs.
Moved 6 times, including a stay at both grandparents.
Loved the black lab at Mercer Lake, camping, a ride in the canoe, running the beach,chasing animals,raw hide, your Costco-sized bag of bones at Christmas, sleeping in the kitchen, sleeping in mud, sleeping next to our tent, a new haircut, and to chew up nearly empty milk and ice cream containers.
Really loved the word "walk" and received so many with your buddy Isaac
You also really loved to play, especially with Scott (and I think you thought he was a dog too.) I loved that trick you would do when you wrapped your paw around Scott's leg when he would "pretend" to walk away. You really really love(d) him. Or when he would carry all 90 plus pounds of you around like a baby. You always thought you were a baby. Up until a few months ago.
Profound loss-this
Deep and hollow in my heart
That was where I kept you
You made a deep hole when you left me yesterday
And then we laid you to rest in the one I had made for you
Our final gifts to each other 
12 comments:
heart.broken.
So sorry, he was always great to see at the family reunions. What a cool dog.
What a beautiful tribute. So sad for all of you...
AW Ging & Scott so sorry! I know you really loved your dog. I love you guys!
okay so you can't write stuff like this and expect me not to cry in the middle of the library. I can't even read the screen.
Oh Ging. What wonderful memories you have of Griff. You tell them well. I'm so sorry you are all hurting.
XOXOXOXO
Livingston Family,
I am so sorry. He was a great dog and I am sorry you lost a friend and family member.
I didn't think my eyes would water up twice in a row on blogs about the same thing. Strange friends, dogs are.
I only have asoft shoulder to cry on. No words to make this better. Love Terri
I'm so sorry. My heart aches for you.
Oh Griffy. What a beautiful life you shared together.
it is never a loss when a life has been lived full, having loved and loving in return.
i know your pain, and i know tears eventually become smiles at the silly memories triggered by simple things.
love to you and yours
shawn.
Post a Comment