
Last Friday night Scott and I went to the Churches International Art Exhibition at the conference center. Scott works with a lot of artists who participate and we enjoy visiting with them and seeing their newest creations. It runs into October- and is well worth the trip. Our good friend Kirk Richards has a stunning new painting of Christ washing the apostles feet, Val Ugolini (our passionate Italian friend and manager of the BYU bookstore art department) did a gorgeous painting. Greg Olsen and his wife Sydney were there- he has a beautiful new work of Christ in Gesthemane. A fun thing happened to me with an artist I have admired for some time now but have never met. Cassandra Barney (James Christensen's daughter) was browsing thru the exhibit and I commented on her work as she passed. Her painting is related to the atonement and has lovely symbolism. She told me to come and pose by her painting for her blog- and Wala- now I am on her blog. I have lurked on her sight reading her tips on gardening, creating, musings of life, spiritual insights and great shoes, but now I am actually part of one of her blogs. Cute huh? Here's the link. One of these days I am going to take all of this inspiration and put it to really good use. My art instructor, aka Kirk Richards, would approve...
On a side-note, during the presentation we sat next to Richard Hinckley. I whispered into Cal's ear, " See that man sitting next to us? He is President Hinckley's son." Cal replied in a very Caleb-ish way, "I bet he knows when President Hinckley was born!" ( Caleb knows this information and is thrilled to find others who do)To those of you who don't know, Caleb is a collector of facts and family history. If the opportunity had presented itself I am positive he would have started a conversation with Brother Hinckley about this very subject. And I am sure that he would have been enlightened, Caleb might have learned a thing or too as well. Perhaps.
5 comments:
It was a most marvy time...except for the *@#$)#)@ chinese kids that kept running around claiming we were hurting their feelings...
BTW, here's the link to the show online...
http://www.lds.org/ch/remembering/exhibit_2009.html
way cool!
thats very neat Ging. Rubbing shoulders with some fantastic artists... I can't wait to see what you come up with yourself.
And I see that you have a print coming soon too! excellent. :)
oh my lanta did dad just say marvy and use asterisks n such in place of actual swear words? HA! You must be related to me... Anyway I'm glad that the artist world is finally recognizing another true artist...my madre. Congrats! And Ellie's posing is very whimsical in that photo, might I add. She's definitely not a tame kitten, if you know what I mean.
OH my lanta! LOL LOL LOL! YOur hubby and Kenz are funny funny funny! That's neat that you know her. I have always been a big fan of her Dad's work. In highschool I did a painting of his - the Bird Hunters. It turned out pretty neat. Love ya
Post a Comment