Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentines is for Giving...in


Every year about this time it's time to give valentines to "our" valentines. Usually we run to the store and buy Buzz Lightyear & Tinkerbell. This year store-bought cards weren't in the cards. We love to craft so for Family Home Evening we went to work cutting out hearts, coloring, and applying ridiculous amounts of stickers. Caleb has taken all week to write personal messages to each friend. Even remembering what they like, such as Star Wars or Soccer. He has drawn pictures and shared his true feelings about each child in his class.All 28 of them I am so pleased. Ellie's too were all hand signed and decorated This is way-better than store-bought. Way. But I know what's coming. Candy used to be a bonus. Remember? Now it is expected with every little "My heart belongs to you" I am opposed to this way of thinking. My children still have candy from Halloween. I know.I know... But I really wish that every holiday did not have to be an excuse for the over-consumption of sugar. I am going on strike. Well, I was going to . As soon as I said no to Caleb I realized how important it was to him to be able to give a treat to his friends like his friends would. So, in about 45 minutes I am headed to his school to help with the class Valentines party. (I am over the cookie decorating table. Go figure.) I found a few bags of Kit Kat candy bars in food storage that I bought for a buck a bag and crafted a little label for them. I know he will be thrilled to give them, but I still think handmade cards with heart-felt thoughts are better.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So how did Sugar-time Day go? Sorry, I meant Valentine's Day!

Jen said...

OHH those are cute! WAy to come through for your son Ging! I bet he thought you were the best Mom in all the land far and wide!

shawn rowley said...

jay leno said valentines should be renamed ....EXTORTION DAY.

Laura Davies said...

I have to agree..I LOVE a good homeade Valentines, but darn those little kiddos have to have the sugar:)