Friday, January 16, 2009

PARTY ON!!















Twice a year we celebrate in threes. It starts early with a near-Christmas birthday celebration for Cal. A week after Christmas we ring in the new year with Kenzie blowing out her candles and within a little more than two weeks we are wishing Ellie happy "Queen for the Day" day. Later in fall the pattern repeats itself for me, Ike and Scott. There is a large concentration of cake, gift wrap and choruses of Happy Birthday in short expanses of time. I have grown old- and tired and have not given a birthday party for one of my children since Isaac turned 16. I am a slacker. This year, I'm making up for lost time. I have licked enough frosting off my fingers to frost another cake. I have wrapped, decorated, scheemed, inflated balloons and hung banners. Now, I'm really tired- and Cal's "friend party" is even until next Saturday. Someone told me I am off the hook for a couple of years, since I have given all of my children a party this year. At first I was relieved to be absolved, but then a few things occured to me. Giving my children (at any age) an opportunity to be reminded that they have friends who like to celebrate with them, is worth the effort and all of that frosting. The process of giving a party, dancing like a three year-old, hiding teenagers in my dining room and successfully entertaining both the 1st grader and the college student has taught me something- I actually like giving parties. And it's clear they like having them. My mother was particulary good at throwing a party. She knew how to throw a wicked surprise party, make a cake in any shape (hamburgers,giraffes,bears, etc). And we always had way more friends than the rules state is healthy for parents. I make my case with the example of my 13th birthday party: Mom and Dad let me use the trailer for a sleep-over. It was bursting with giggling teenage girls, some of which were apparently nocturanal, others had adverse reactions to sugar, one talked in her sleep and all were capable of projecting their voices through brick walls. I am sure mom and dad lost many years worth of sleep just allowing slumber parties over the years. Many happy memories revolve around my birthdays. The sacrifice and time required to pull off that kind of grand scale event proved something to me. My parents loved me. I get it. I am glad I got the dominant gene for throwing a party. I am glad I remembered. Happy Birthday Cal, Kenz and Ellie!! Party on!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just lucky to be married to the "One in charge of celebrations!"

KimnSam said...

How fun! It's always crazy when there's so many with B-days close to each other, sounds like you pulled it off in style! Your kids are all getting so big!

Molly Thorne said...

Bailey is busy planning her party and really wants El to be there. She can't stop talking about the party. Thanks for letting her play for so long two days in a row

JP Anderson said...

You are one cool mom just like our mom. My friends always thought she was the coolest for all the suckers and cookies and cakes and who knows what else. That is just one more thing on a long list of "favorite things about Mom" your kids are going to remember for a life time.